Saturday, December 22, 2007

Food Is Good

Today:
Run 15 miles
Bike 15 miles
Lift 12 lifts
-3 sets of 12 reps

Yesterday:
Skate Ski 7 miles
Run 7 miles

Thursday:
Run 15 miles
Bike Commute 3 miles

I didn't work yesterday or today. This was my first 2 days off in a row since Thanksgiving. And I don't have to work tomorrow; only a few hours on Monday; and not at all on Tuesday. By the time Wednesday rolls around I might forget how to get to work.

One thing that sucks about cooking food for a living is that it drains most of my motivation to cook at home. Especially the type of cooking I do at work where I get to create everything that I cook. By the time I get home the thought of creating a nice dinner based on ingredients that I have in the fridge is dreadful so I opt for simplicity more often than not. In the past several months we've eaten way too many dinners of frozen ravioli, quickly thrown together fajitas or burritos, and frozen veggie burgers.

Today was different though. I got home from 4+ hours of training and only had 45 minutes before Jill would be here on her dinner break, but I hadn't been to work in 48 hours and I actually wanted to cook. Because of the short amount of time available I opted for a pretty simple Indian dinner of mung dal over basmati rice and vegetable pakoras with tamarind chutney. But dang, it was so nice to not be eating frozen ravioli again for dinner. And with the day off again tomorrow I'm already trying to decide what I should make for my next dinner.

Training totals for the week: Bike 35 miles; Ski 12 miles; Run 81 miles; 17.5 hours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geoff ~ ~ ~ Food IS good, and good for you too. I'm glad you were able to take some time off to cook something nice for you and Jill.

Speaking of food, have you experimented with making your own energy bars? A couple weeks ago I took along meatballs on my five above zero ride and found the protein to be helpful in generating heat. Since you are a vegan, you could make rice balls with adzuki beans with other soy protein and keep it from freezing by carrying it in a pack with some hand warmers inside (on your sled, or in a fanny pack)

Another idea is to eat like it's going outta style and put on five pounds a few weeks before the race. You'll feel a bit more sluggish hauling around those extra pounds but you'll burn them off during the race (generating heat in the process).

OK, enough of my unsolicited suggestions! I'm sure you and Jill have heard a ton of 'em! Well, it's because we all want to help in whatever way we can and see you and Jill succeed on this amazing adventure. Good luck with your training. ~ ~ dave

Anonymous said...

Geoff, to answer my own question... here's a company where you can bake your own energy bars. I don't know if they're any good, but from the testimonials on the web site people seem to love 'em.

http://www.matisseandjacks.com/