Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Heat Wave

It has been over 70 for 4 days in a row now and the forecast is for more of the same for 2 more days. This is by far the sunniest and warmest stretch of weather we have had since moving to Juneau a year ago. Last August there was measurable precipitation 30 of the 31 days. So far this August there has been precipitation on only 5 of 13 days, and 3 of these days were .02" or less. Our total precip. for the month so far is .52" and the month is almost half over. The average for August is over 7".

I'm not complaining. It's times like this that I really feel Juneau starting to grow on me. I was overheating pretty good while out for a short (7 mile) run today and I couldn't help but think of how unbearable it would be to be running in the temperatures that occur throughout most of the country this time of year. To all of those in the lower 48 I feel for you. I realize that the 75 degrees that I was "overheating" in today would be a serious cold snap for most people reading this blog.

There's a great story recently posted on the Mountain Bike Forum by Mike Curiak about heat waves, Alaskan winters, and biking one of the toughest races in the world. Read it here. It's worth your time, especially if it keeps you from being out in the heat.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We forgive you for complaining about glorious 70+ degree temps. As you'll forgive me when I can ride in just tights and thin arm warmers throught the winter!