Monday, March 26, 2007

Back in the Saddle

Ski 13 miles
-5 classic
-8 skate

Road Bike 25.6 miles

Today was my first road bike ride since Halloween. There was one day after Halloween in which I tried to ride my road bike but only made it 1/4 mile before falling on black ice and injuring my hip. Throughout the winter we have had several days in which i thought the sun and/or the rain would melt the ice clear from the side of the road, but today was the first day in which this actually occurred at an extent that made it safe to bust out the road bike.

There's nothing quite like that first road ride of the season. It's so quiet, light, and fast compared to riding a studded tire mountain bike. I always push myself harder and longer than I probably should on this first ride. I only did 25 miles today but I had already skied 13 miles and had not had enough to eat so by the time I finished riding I was completely depleted. I got home and began shoving food into my mouth. 45 minutes later I was replenished but felt an awful upset stomach for the next 3 hours. I hate when I do that. I'm not sure why but this seems to happen more often to me when I do a hard bike ride than a hard run. I think maybe my body is just more used to the abuse it receives from running.

No comments: